Free agent relief pitcher Grant Balfour appeared on MLB Network Radio Sunday, saying that four teams remained heavily interested in him, reports Jim Duquette of MLB.com. At least one of those teams has made him an offer.
Balfour had agreed to a two-year, $15 million deal with the Baltimore Orioles last week. However, an issue in Balfour's surgically-repaired shoulder caused some concern during a physical, causing the Orioles to call the deal off. Baltimore has now turned its attention towards Fernando Rodney in an effort to fill the hole in the back of the bullpen.
Over the air, Balfour told Duquette that he did not believe there is any cause for concern over his health.
"[I was] disappointed, I had hoped to help the O's to go to the WS," Balfour said. "I haven't had a DL stint in 8 years and 2 doctors said I was healthy.... I don't have to prove that I'm healthy, I am healthy."
The Tampa Bay Rays are known to have shown an interest in Balfour since his deal with the Orioles was called off. Furthermore, the Yankees had been eyeing him a few weeks ago and could remain interested. The Mariners and White Sox have also been theorized as potential landing spots for the former Athletics closer.
Balfour, 35, has been in Oakland for three years, posting a 2.53 ERA over that span with a 1.04 WHIP. He has maintained an ERA under 2.60 for five of the past six seasons. He has closed out games the past two years, collecting 62 saves.