UFC Dana White was not available at the UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch post-fight press conference, so Marshall Zelaznik, the UFC's managing director of international development, conducted the presser.
The official attendance was 18,186 at the Acer Arena, which is a record for that venue. The sell out for that - 22 minutes - is still a UFC record. The live gate was $3.5 million.
Zelaznik announced that James Te Huna donated his purse to help earthquake victims in New Zealand and that the UFC matched his contribution.
Tom Blackledge broke his hand and would be flying back to the U.K. the next day.
Now, here are some notes from the presser:
- UFC says they're trying to get Team Uk vs. Team Australia for The Ultimate Fighter, but likely won't see it in 2011.
- Penn says he should get a win over Fitch before he gets a title shot. Fitch says it should be for title.
- Zelaznik says they could mimic UFC 129's ticket sales. Victoria allows MMA, just not in a cage.
- Bisping says the knee was not on purpose. Also says Rivera has to accept he got beat and get over it.
- Penn appeared bewildered and says he's disappointed he gave away the third round like that. Fitch also says he's disappointed and prepared better. "I expect more of myself," says Fitch.
- Sotiropoulos complimentary of Siver's takedown defense. H
- Penn says "I got over trying to box people and run away." Says he's a grappler himself at that this is something he plans to do going forward.
- Bisping says he could've done a better job dealing with trash talking. Says on his end it isn't an act.
- Hunt says "it's been a long time between drinks for me" implying it had been a long time since he won in mixed martial arts (MMA).
- Zelaznik is not specualting one way or the other about individual UK vs. Australia match-ups for The Ultimate Fighter or any other card.
- Bisping indicates he might be spending more time in Australia because of his girlfriend and may even live there, but likely won't train there.