According to Strikeforce President Scott Coker, popular female mixed martial arts fighter Gina Carano has not been medically cleared to fight. According to Carano, "I'm seriously disappointed to not be fighting on June 18." The nature of what has caused her inability to get a clearance is not known. As for her opponent, Sarah D'Alelio, Coker said he'd know by the end of the day if he found a replacement for her to fight.
Moving up to take that fight's previous spot on the Showtime broadcast is K.J. Noons vs. Jorge Masvidal. Coker said he would be in touch with HDNet, who is televising live the preliminary portion of the card, to discuss possibilities to augment the under card given the loss of the aforementioned Masvidal vs. Noons bout.
As for other comments made during the call, my notes are below.
- No issue with Josh Barnett and his licensing.
- No further information on Carano's medical condition.
- Will add another under card fight on the HDNet broadcast to make up for the loss of Masvidal vs. Noons.
- Sometime in early fall, will have announcement in early fall for the next round of the grand prix. If the tourney carries over into 2012, that will be sufficient.
- I just focus on myself when I make training schedule and plan. We've become more professional, me and my team. I don't worry about how other people are training.
-I do and don't think about previous loss to Werdum. But I feel so happy about this fight now. It's a great opportunity for me. I'm motivated.
- I didn't care about how the tournament was stacked. I never complain about a fight. It's what I do for a living. I'm ready to go.
- I like the idea of a ring, but the cage is safer. The cage is a fact of MMA and everyone who is a pro needs to use the cage.
- I'm will use this fight to prove I'm number one heavyweight in the world.
- America is the future of MMA and I want to make an impact in this market.
- I'll be looking for the knockout from the very first second.
- Many fans would love to see my face UFC champion Cain Velasquez if I win this fight or this tournament.
- It would be awesome to fight again Japan, but I like fighting in the States, too.
- I want Junior dos Santos to win at UFC 131. I want to fight him again.
- I will in the first round this time again Overeem, too. June is my month.
- The winner of the tournament will be able to say I'm number one.
- For me it's the same, cage or ring. I like the cage better because they don't stop the fight and re-start it.
- I'm ready to fight. It's been a long time, almost a year since I fought last. Ready to get back to competition.
- If I win this grand prix I want to be the champ of UFC, too.
- Overeem is very good standing, I'm very good on the ground.