While everyone is preparing for basketball's March Madness - and who can blame them? - it's worth noting tomorrow kicks off the 2012 NCAA Division I national championships in wrestling. The event takes place at the Scott Trade Center in St. Louis, Missouri and up until the finals, the matches will air on ESPN 3. The finals will air live on ESPN this Saturday evening.
I wanted to get the right person for the job to do a preview and maybe even look ahead to see what the graduating seniors would do post-graduation. I think I found the right man for the job. Get all of the info you need with me 42-minute preview with wrestling coach Mike Riordan. Who is Riordan? He's an incredible guy who I found after sending me hate mail. True story.
Typically hate mail is functionally literate and dismissible, but this gentleman blew me away with knowledge. We continued our correspondence and I soon realized I had to collaborate with him on coverage.
We talk each weight division and who should win, how the conferences fared this year, who we could see go into MMA or international wrestling and so much more:
But this is just a preview. Here's helpful info you'll need to both follow along and understand everything that's going on:
- Download your own bracket here.
- Want tournament odds because you want to gamble? We have those, too.
- You'll be able to watch starting tomorrow with ESPN 3. First matches start at noon. The finals will air on ESPN on Saturday evening.
- Our own Bloody Elbow previewed this tournament and outlined who to look for.
- Be sure to consult the live brackets as the results come in live.
- Catch up on your history with our 2011 nat'l tourney coverage.
- The NCAA has their own page for this week's event including results, fan information and more.
- USA Wrestling is in St. Louis and will be uploading all kinds of interviews, matches and more on their YouTube channel. They've already got presser video up. This is one not to miss.
- No amount of coverage is complete without Flowrestling's take.
- Your Twitter hashtag for tomorrow through Sunday: #d1wrestle.