This is somewhat unbelievable, but it had been since Daytona in July that Dale Earnhardt Jr. got the most crowd noise during pre-race driver introductions – at least in the six races where SB Nation's decibel meter was used.
That seems crazy, but look at who had gotten the loudest reaction since then:
- Indianapolis: Local favorite Jeff Gordon got the most noise.
- Bristol: Brad Keselowski incited the crowd with "Kyle Busch is an ass!"
- Atlanta: Earnhardt Jr. was fifth thanks to a bad starting spot; the crowd wasn't warmed up yet when he was introduced (Busch drew the loudest reaction).
- Richmond: Fans spent more vocal energy booing Busch than cheering for Earnhardt Jr.
- Dover: Drivers were supposed to introduce themselves to the crowd, but Earnhardt Jr. walked right by the microphone and didn't say anything.
- Fontana: Jimmie Johnson got the loudest reception in his native Southern California.
|Driver||dB||Type of Noise||Comment/Explanation|
|1||Dale Earnhardt Jr.||85.8||Cheers||Finally back on top|
|2||Kyle Busch||84.3||Boos||Kyle's boos angrier than JJ's|
|3||Jimmie Johnson||84.0||Boos||Gets Gordon's reaction from 5 yrs ago|
|4||Mark Martin||83.7||Cheers||Most fans appreciate Martin|
|5||Jeff Gordon||83.4||Mix||More cheers as he gets older?|
|6||Tony Stewart||83.2||Cheers||Wildly popular now; used to get boos|
|7||Kasey Kahne||82.1||Cheers||Fans didn't expect RPM brake failure|
|8||Carl Edwards||81.8||Cheers||Outside pole-sitter|
|9||Brad Keselowski||80.8||Mix||Unusual amount of noise for BradK|
|10||Joey Logano||80.5||Cheers||Always cheered; growing popularity|