One of NASCAR's best new traditions is set to continue on Sunday, when Sprint Cup Series drivers will walk out to pre-race introductions at Bristol Motor Speedway while a song of their choosing plays over the speakers.
Though this is a common practice in Major League Baseball, Bristol is the only track to do it in NASCAR. Last summer, the track added a twist by allowing drivers to grab the microphone and introduce themselves, which set the stage for Brad Keselowski's infamous "Kyle Busch is an ass!" statement.
The songs themselves are one of the best parts of Bristol race day. They often have some sort of message or personal meaning, and they can reveal a driver's sense of humor or offer a window into his personality.
Notable selections this year include David Ragan's "No More Mr. Nice Guy," Casey Mears' apparent tribute to the recently deceased Nate Dogg (Warren G's "Regulators") and David Reutimann's "Pretty Fly For A White Guy." Also, Landon Cassill apparently plans to "Rick Roll" the Bristol fans by walking in to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up."
You can see this year's list below (some drivers are keeping their picks secret until race day or have yet to choose), and you can see what the drivers chose last year by clicking this link for the spring race and this link for the summer race.
List of driver song choices for Bristol:
- Marcos Ambrose – "Fuel" / Metallica
- AJ Allmendinger – "Turn Around" / Flo Rida
- Trevor Bayne – "Back Where I Come From" / Kenny Chesney
- Greg Biffle – "I Gotta Feeling" / Black Eyed Peas *
- Dave Blaney – Ohio State University fight song
- Clint Bowyer – Theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Jeff Burton – "Welcome to the Jungle" / Guns N Roses
- Kurt Busch – "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" / George Thorogood
- Kyle Busch – "Rowdy Busch" / Raytona 500
- Landon Cassill – "Never Gonna Give You Up" / Rick Astley
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. – "Screaming Bloody Murder" / Sum 41 *
- Carl Edwards – Theme from Cheers
- Bill Elliott – "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" / The Charlie Daniels Band *
- David Gilliland – "Wild Side" / Motley Crue
- Jeff Gordon – "I Won't Back Down" / Tom Petty
- Robby Gordon – Theme from Rocky *
- Denny Hamlin – "Shipping Up To Boston" / Dropkick Murphys
- Kevin Harvick – "Back In Black" / AC/DC
- Jimmie Johnson – "The Thong Song" / Sisqo (selected by Brian Vickers) *
- Kasey Kahne – "A Country Boy Can Survive" / Hank Williams Jr.
- Matt Kenseth – "Nightmare" / Avenged Sevenfold
- Brad Keselowski – "Friends In Low Places" / Garth Brooks *
- Travis Kvapil – "Song 2" / Blur
- Bobby Labonte – "God Bless Texas" / Little Texas
- Andy Lally – "Beat You Down" / Downstait
- Joey Logano – "Opposite of Adults" / Chiddy Bang
- Mark Martin – "Night Prowler" / AC/DC *
- Michael McDowell – "I Saw The Light" / David Crowder Band
- Jamie McMurray – "Burn It To The Ground" / Nickelback
- Casey Mears – "Regulate" / Warren G
- Paul Menard – "Concrete Jungle" / Black Label Society
- Juan Pablo Montoya – "Ladies And Gentlemen" / Saliva
- Joe Nemechek – "Chrome" / Trace Adkins *
- Ryan Newman – Theme to Dukes of Hazzard
- David Ragan – "No More Mr. Nice Guy" / Alice Cooper
- Tony Raines – "Head Full Of Doubt" / Avett Brothers *
- David Reutimann – "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" / The Offspring
- Dennis Setzer – "Kickstart My Heart" / Motley Crue *
- Regan Smith – "Welcome To The Family" / Avenged Sevenfold
- Tony Stewart – "Bawitaba" / Kid Rock
- Martin Truex Jr. – "Homeboy" / Eric Church
- Brian Vickers – "Man! I Feel Like A Woman" / Shania Twain (selected by Jimmie Johnson) *
- JJ Yeley – "It's Tricky" / Run-D.M.C *