Katie Kenseth, the wife of former NASCAR champion Matt Kenseth, broke her shoulder blade Monday night while practicing a bandolero race car for a charity event at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
The wreck occurred while Kenseth and other NASCAR wives and girlfriends prepared for the "Better Half Dash" charity race, scheduled for Oct. 15 before the Bank of America 500 Sprint Cup Series race. The charity event will benefit the Speedway Children's Charity and Motor Racing Outreach.
Kenseth was placed on a stretcher and taken to a local hospital for evaluation, according to WCNC.com. She was released later in the evening, but her husband said she broke her scapula and had "some bumps and bruises."
"She said that was the shortest racing career in history!" Matt Kenseth tweeted. He also joked that due to the injury, "I got to learn something new: How to put a bra ON!"
Earlier in the day, Kenseth had posted a picture of Katie preparing for the practice session:
@matt_kenseth17: Getting ready for better half dash test....looking all over but no sign of Danica's husband.. twitpic.com/6r3s0k
Among the other competitors scheduled for the charity race are:
- Beth Baldwin, wife of NASCAR team owner Tommy Baldwin
- Jacquelyn Butler, girlfriend of NASCAR driver David Ragan
- Patricia Driscoll, girlfriend of NASCAR driver Kurt Busch
- Michelle Gilliland, wife of NASCAR driver David Gilliland
- Shannon Koch, wife of NASCAR driver Blake Koch
- Jami McDowell, wife of NASCAR driver Michael McDowell
- Tricia Mears, wife of NASCAR driver Casey Mears
- Sabrina Simpson, girlfriend of NASCAR driver Joey Logano
- Wendy Venturini, NASCAR on SPEED personality
- Nan Zipadelli, wife of NASCAR crew chief Greg Zipadelli