After a two-week absence, NASCAR's most popular driver will return to the circuit.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been medically cleared to compete this weekend at Martinsville Speedway after multiple concussions sidelined him for two races.
Charlotte neurosurgeon Dr. Jerry Petty supervised Earnhardt Jr.'s rehabilitation program, which included a visit to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's Sports Concussion Program.
Throughout all the tests, Earnhardt Jr. showed no symptoms – nor were doctors able to provoke further symptoms. Earnhardt Jr.'s last headache was Oct. 12, Petty said.
"Dale Jr. has done everything asked of him," Petty said. "... I have informed NASCAR and Hendrick Motorsports that he is medically cleared for all NASCAR-related activity.”"
As a final test, Earnhardt Jr. ran 123 laps at Gresham Motorsports Park in Georgia on Monday. Petty, who attended the test, cleared the driver following another examination on Tuesday morning in Charlotte.
Earnhardt Jr. had sustained an initial concussion while testing at Kansas Speedway in August – one which he kept secret – and had another during a spin at Talladega earlier this month.