NASCAR Richmond International Raceway Race Day Weather Forecast 2012: Scattered Showers Tonight

Will it rain Saturday night for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Richmond International Raceway? That's what everyone wants to know. Unfortunately, the answer isn't a straight forward "yes" or" no."

It all comes down to placement of a stalled boundary to the north of Virginia, and the timing of a system that will ride along this boundary Saturday afternoon and evening. Expect the day to start off dry with sunshine. As the day wears on, more clouds are likely, and there could even be a few showers that develop. If any rain does form in the afternoon, it would be isolated to scattered.

The chance of rain begins to increase later in the evening. It appears Richmond should be mostly dry and mostly cloudy at the start of the Capital City 400. As the evening progresses, the rain chances begin to increase.

Until we see when and where the rain will form, it's a tough call about whether or not we will get the full 400 miles completed. As I have been telling many of my followers on Twitter: If I had tickets to the race and knowing what I do about the weather and this forecast, I would still go expecting to see racing Saturday night.

As far as rain postponing the race until Sunday, the odds of that look low. I would expect it to be in the 20 to 30 percent probability, with a good 70 percent probability we see at least an official race Saturday night.

Follow me on Twitter @NASCAR_WXMAN and like me on Facebook for any changes to the forecast and for any updates that may be needed Saturday night.

Conditions in Richmond, VA: Click here for Current Weather ConditionsLook at Doppler Radar | Mobile Friendly Site | Mobile Radar

SATURDAY
Noon EDT
Sprint Cup Race Day – Mix of clouds and sunshine – temp: 61
5 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup Pre-race – Mostly cloudy chance of a shower – temp: 63
7 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup race – Mostly cloudy chance of a shower – temp: 60
9 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup race – Mostly cloudy chance of a shower – temp: 58

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.