Having hinted recently that he had lined up a ride for next season, Ryan Newman made it official Monday, announcing he would drive the No. 31 Chevrolet fielded by Richard Childress Racing in 2014.
Newman will replace Jeff Burton, who had one year left on his contract but announced last week he was leaving the team at the end of the season.
"I'm just excited about the opportunity that we have from a team standpoint, the resources with Chevrolet," Newman said. "I know that Richard has the drive and dedication to be as successful as he possibly can."
Childress first contacted Newman about driving for the team in February in the days leading up to the Daytona, and when Newman was released from his contract from Stewart-Haas Racing in July, the talks resumed.
Originally RCR wanted to expand to four cars, but when funding couldn't be secured Burton and the team mutually agreed to end their relationship so Newman could be brought in.
"I'm extremely respectful and I have a lot of admiration for the way Jeff Burton's handled himself and all of this with his situation and the opportunities that we have to be able to just make all of this workout," Newman said. "He's been great."
The winner of 17 races in NASCAR's premiere series, Newman signed a three-year contract with RCR. He will be paired with crew chief Luke Lambert, and the No. 31 will continue to be partially sponsored by Caterpillar. Additional sponsorship will be announced at a later date.