Three weeks before the start of the season for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, a promising young driver has found himself without a ride.
Turner Scott Motorsports announced Friday it is disbanding the No. 4 team of Jeb Burton after sponsor Arrowhead defaulted on a payment. The team is also considering laying off upwards of 20 percent of its workforce as a result.
Burton, the son of 2002 Daytona 500 winner Ward Burton, placed fifth in Truck Series points as a rookie last year. In 22 races, he collected one victory (Texas) along with 11 top-10 finishes and led all drivers with seven poles.
"The breakout success of Jeb Burton and the entire No. 4 team in 2013 makes these decisions especially painful," team co-owner Harry Scott Jr. said in a release. "However, we will do everything we can to put Jeb on the racetrack with our organization going forward. He is a great talent and has a great career ahead of him."
The 21-year-old said in a statement he was working to secure a ride before the Feb. 21 season-opening race at Daytona International Speedway.
"Obviously, these are tough circumstances for everyone involved, not just for me, but also for my teammates who are affected," Burton said. "I am working with Turner Scott Motorsports to identify any potential opportunities for me to get on the track this year."
Turner Scott will continue to run two full-time teams in the Nationwide Series, one for Kyle Larson and another for a driver to be named later. The organization will also field trucks -- one full-time and the other on a part-time basis.