Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson -- a retired All-NBA guard who starred for the Phoenix Suns in the 1990s -- will address NBA franchise owners about the Kings' likely relocation to Anaheim before a decision is made, reports the Sacramento Bee. Johnson has made keeping the Kings a priority since winning office, but efforts haven't come quickly enough for the Maloof family, owners of the franchise. The Maloofs are expected to file for relocation before the NBA's April 18 deadline. Sacramento isn't expected to hear the results of a downtown arena feasibility study until May.
Details of the Kings' potential lease agreement at Anaheim's Honda Center were released late last week. NBA owners typically approve relocation applications overwhelmingly, but Lakers' owner Jerry Buss is said to be seriously opposed to such a move. Reports surfaced earlier this week suggesting that the Lakers could lose as much as $300 million from a recently inked cable TV deal if the L.A. region adds a third team.
Johnson told the Bee he'd use his time with the NBA owners to promote Sacramento's vision for a new arena and ask that even if the Kings' relocation goes through, that the city become first in line for a new team, whether it be via expansion (unlikely) or the relocation of another franchise.
NBA owners meet April 14-15. For more on the Kings, visit Sactown Royalty.
Disclosure: The author is a longtime Kings fan and the editor of Sactown Royalty.