Just when LeBron James hate/antipathy/slander was nearing its absolute apex, a picture from Getty Images that appears to show six toes on James' right foot went viral. You can check out the photo and reasons why this might and might not be conclusive proof that LeBron James has six toes after the jump.
Evidence in favor of LeBron James having six toes on his right foot:
- A picture was taken and posted to the Internet by a reputable photo agency that appears to show six toes on James' right foot.
- Error-level analysis indicates that that photo is real and unaltered.
- The Internet kind of hates LeBron James.
- The Internet has concluded that this picture shows LeBron James' six toes.
Evidence against LeBron James having six toes on his right foot:
- The lack of mention of James' six toes by anyone, at all, ever, through the first ten years of his public life.
- The lack of a clear picture of James' right foot. (The closest one can find is this 2005 picture, more or less.)
- The lack of six toes on James' left foot in a previous picture.
- The lack of conclusive evidence of six toes on James' right foot in another previous picture.
- This pretty conclusive picture of James' five-toed right foot from 2007:
- If LeBron James had six toes, Yahoo!'s Adrian Wojnarowski would definitely have structured a column around that fact by now, right?
- The virality of this picture was started by two two forums notorious for their promulgation of interesting images, not their critical examination of them.
- This, from Hardwood Paroxysm's Matt Moore:
I think LeBron James has five toes on his right foot, but has the sort of long foot that can look weird in photos from certain angles, and I certainly believe Moore. But I invite you to make your own counter-factual conclusions, because the Internet does that anyway.