After missing both a game on Monday and a practice the following morning, Houston Rockets rookie forward Royce White released a statement on Tuesday that accuses the organization of not living up to its prior agreement.
In hindsight, perhaps it was not a good idea to be open and honest about my anxiety disorder, due to the current situations at hand that involve the nature of actions from the Houston Rockets. As a rookie, I want to settle into a team and make progress; but since preseason the Rockets have been inconsistent with their agreement to proactively create a healthy and successful relationship. At this point the Rockets are aware of my position and the reason for my absence. Any other response is inaccurate. This is important to me. It is a health issue. I must advocate for my rights. It is a player-commodity league. The failure to meet my requests for support will end with me being unhealthy and that is not a consequence that I am willing to accept to play any sport.
The 21-year-old White was given a significant vote of confidence by the Rockets after being selected with the 16th overall pick in June, but it's clear things have fallen apart in a matter of months. His no-show at the team's Tuesday practice may very well have been the last straw, however, especially after he was already set to be sent to the NBA Developmental League along with two other Rockets players.
Though White has been completely open about his condition throughout his short NBA career, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey cannot be pleased about the minor contribution he has received from his rookie on the practice court in his first season in the league. White sat out all of training camp and has not suited up once in 2012, and it appears that his future with the Rockets has now been thrown into question as well.
Tuesday evening, Royce White, who still had more to say following the statement, took to Twitter.
- I'm most defiantly not AWOL... There are many things here ppl don't know, #Honesty is what I'm sticking with. @HoustonRockets "Luke 12:3"
- Problem goes back WAY before D-League assignment. This about #Consideration and #Health it isn't about Rebounds & Money.
- My "anxiety" hasn't caused inconsistency in my participation with the team from training camp until 72hrs ago, ✈ to DET, ✈s Isn't the issue.
- I'm most definitely* not AWOL... There are many things here ppl don't know, #Honesty is what I'm sticking with. @HoustonRockets "Luke 12:3"
- It's sad to think ppl ACTUALLY think 🏀 should be higher on my priority list then health..you can't enjoy success OR money without health.
- I'd waste my "Talent", to stand up for myself and what's right, regarding my health 10x's out 10. #Logical Player "Commodity" league.
- "your a COMMODITY" and "we'll support your health needs even if its inconvenient..." just don't go. My health can't afford such an ideal.