After it was revealed that Golden State Warriors center Andrew Bogut underwent a microfracture surgery on his ankle that was much more serious than first revealed, he met with the media on Tuesday to clarify that he and the team are on the same page.
Bogut said that he's still between a month to three months away from returning, but he expects to make it back this season.
According to the Contra Costa Times, Bogut and Warriors general manager Bob Myers said that there was no miscommunication between one another. The seven-foot center said that he didn't feel extra pressure to play for Golden State, and his return to action at the beginning of the season was, in hindsight, the wrong call on his part.
"It was probably my mistake early on," he said. "The team was very supportive, but I wanted to play the first game of the season. If I hadn't played a game yet, I'd be asking myself, `Could I have played?' Now I know that I shouldn't have tried."
Bogut, who played in four of the first five games for the Warriors this season, underwent surgery last April.
He was working out with Dr. Richard Ferkel last week while receiving platelet-rich blood injections to help with the healing process. Currently, Bogut is only able to work out on treadmills and elliptical machines, and his basketball-related activities have involved shooting drills.
Bogut averaged six points and 3.8 rebounds per game in the four outings he played under restricted minutes this year.