NBA trade rumors have until 3 p.m. EST to remain relevant so Thursday's Trade Rumor Roundup might not have as long of a lifespan as it has since the inception of this column thanks to the afternoon trade deadline. There are still quite a few deals to get to, however -- even with Dwight Howard apparently deciding to stay with the Orlando Magic for one more season.
Howard made the decision late Wednesday night to opt-in to an extra season in his contract, effectively making all of the speculation of where he might go absolutely worthless. Unless one listens to SB Nation's Tom Ziller, however, as he's an advocate of the Magic trading Howard now that he has opted-in ... which would just create an awesome, fun mess for everyone involved. Our own Mike Prada looked at something similar on Wednesday, too, deciding to check in on the best places the Magic could trade Howard just out of spite.
All isn't lost for the trade fanatics in the world, however, as the Los Angeles Lakers are expected to be one of the more active teams when it comes to deals at the NBA trade deadline.
The Lakers are reportedly getting very close to a deal that would put Michael Beasley and Metta World Peace on the same team, according to numerous reports. In the proposed three-team trade, the Lakers would send either Steve Blake or a first-round pick to the Portland Trail Blazers and the Minnesota Timberwolves would receive Jamal Crawford from the Blazers in return for trading Beasley.
There are sure to be quite a few rumors coming out following the publishing of this column so be sure to stay tuned to our StoryStream dedicated exclusively to the NBA trade deadline for up-to-date news and rumors. For now, though, a look back at what everyone might have missed while they were sleeping.
- The New Jersey Nets fans are getting a bit worried now that Dwight Howard won't be taking his talents to Brooklyn for at least a little while longer. NetsDaily asks a pretty important question, then: Will Deron Williams stay in New Jersey if they're unable to improve once again?
- The Washington Wizards have made JaVale McGee available to interested parties, but they want a pretty good deal in return for giving up one of the most potential-laden hot-mess centers in the NBA.
- The Boston Celtics are looking for a big man -- any big man -- and have reportedly zeroed in on Chris Kaman from the New Orleans Hornets. They can't trade for his contract without giving up a piece of the Big Three, however, so the only way to acquire him would be if he's bought out after the deadline.
- Speaking of the Celtics, there's apparently legitimate interest in acquiring J.J. Hickson from the Sacramento Kings. It's unclear what they'd have to give up in return, but as written earlier, they're definitely in the market for a big man.
- The Phoenix Suns don't sound like they're going to do anything at the trade deadline, according to Bright Side of the Sun's Seth Pollack.
- It's irrelevant now, but the Kings and Golden State Warriors reportedly looked at a deal that would have seen Monta Ellis and Tyreke Evans change teams.
- Not a trade, but the Memphis Grizzlies are interested in adding Gilbert Arenas as a free agent. O.J. Mayo and Hibachi would create a fun tandem when on the court together, probably.