NBA Draft Lottery Watch: You Are Now Watching The Throne

March 14, 2012; Sacramento, CA, USA; Sacramento Kings shooting guard Francisco Garcia (32) reacts after scoring a basket against the Detroit Pistons during the second quarter at Power Balance Pavilion. Mandatory Credit: Kelley L Cox-US PRESSWIRE

The Sacramento Kings are showing the dregs of the NBA how this tanking fortuitous sucking business is done.

We are one week closer to the merciful end of the season for the NBA's worst teams, and one week closer to the fateful day in which destinies will be written by 14 God-forsaken ping pong balls in a motorized hopper in Secaucus, New Jersey. One champion will emerge from that air-conditioned room with the right combination to claim its prize: Anthony Davis. Others will receive dice as parting gifts; they can roll them when the NBA Draft rolls around in June.

The determination of who the odds shall kiss remains to be made. As such, challengers continue to jockey for any edge. The Sacramento Kings know this game better than most, having played it for (checks calendar) six years now. The Kings know just what to do.

And that is why the team is on a six-game losing streak.

(Actually, the team just kinda stinks, DeMarcus Cousins is losing steam and Marcus Thornton was out for a number of those games. But since all the world is raging at the concept of tanking, it seemed like the right accusation to make.)

Here's a look at this week's Lottery Watch, starring the un-resurgent Kings.

Nba-lotto-watch-04122012_medium

That's right: the Kings are in line to finish with the league's fourth-worst record. If that happens, it will make the fourth straight season that Sacramento has finished with a bottom-five record. (Their highest pick in the last three drafts, mind you? No. 4. The bad luck is pretty unbelievable.)

Were it not for one crucial detail, you might accuse the Minnesota Timberwolves of tanking. Since losing Ricky Rubio and their raison d'etre, Minnesota has sunk like a plutonium anchor. But you can't accuse the Wolves of tanking ... because they don't own their first-round pick. That's going to the New Orleans Hornets. (Would we put it past David Kahn to tank for better second round draft position, though? Hmm.)

It's becoming increasingly clear that, due to the mediocrity of others, the Golden State Warriors will need divine intervention at the lottery to avoid losing its pick to Utah. If the current structure holds, the Warriors will enter the lottery with a 6 percent probability of keeping their pick and a 94 percent probability of losing it. The story is slightly better for the New Jersey Nets: as it currently stands, there's a 15 percent probability they'll keep their pick and an 85 percent probability they'll lose it to the Blazers.

But don't fret: there is a 100 percent probability that the top 10 of these teams will continue to suck for the next couple weeks. Wee!

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.