NBA 3 on 3 Tournament Day 2 Results: Leftover Night

In order to fill out the 32-team tournament, we created two extra teams out of players who were left off their own teams' 3 on 3 rosters. Turns out those teams were pretty good. We slotted them into the 9th seeds in each conference, which turned out to be bad news for the 8 seeds.

In the East, a leftovers team of Brandon Jennings, Gerald Wallace and Roy Hibbert knocked off the Philadelphia 76ers threesome of Jrue Holiday, Evan Turner and Andrew Bynum. This was judged to be a very close contest by our panel of experts, who gave the Sixers a 48 percent chance of winning versus a 52 percent chance for the East Leftovers. Remember that the better seeded team, in this case the Sixers, is the important number for the dice rolls that determine the outcome, so in this case Philadelphia was looking for numbers of 48 or lower. Unfortunately, they were swept in two straight games, as the dice came up 76 and 66. The East Leftovers now move on to face the Chicago Bulls in the second round.

Out West an even more impressive group of orphans, James Harden, Zach Randolph and Pau Gasol, was put up against three Utah Jazz youngsters, Alec Burks, Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors. The experts gave Utah just a 24 percent chance of winning. The first roll came up 87 giving the Leftovers a 1-0 lead. But the Jazz won the second in the equivalent of overtime with a roll of 24, forcing a game three showdown. The final score was close, but the last roll of 30 gave the West Leftovers the win, and they move on to face the San Antonio Spurs in the second round.

For a complete look at the SB Nation 3 on 3 Tournament, check back with this StoryStream.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.