Rajon Rondo's ACL tear has the Boston Celtics searching for somebody to help fill in at point guard, and the recently retired Keyon Dooling may be able to help do just that. Dooling told Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe on Sunday that he would consider a comeback if the Celtics asked:
"I'm not in shape, but I would [consider it]," he told the Globe after the Celtics' 100-98 double-overtime win over the Heat Sunday at TD Garden.
The 32-year-old veteran joined the Celtics last year and made some nice contributions off the bench. He averaged just 4.0 points and 1.1 assists in the regular season, but he hit some big shots in the postseason, including some against the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals.
Boston re-signed Dooling for this season, but he abruptly retired when revelations surfaced of childhood sexual abuse. He joined the Celtics' front office staff in October and has been working in an advisory role with the team ever since. However, he has indicated in recent months that he missed the game, and Sunday was the first time talking on record about a possible comeback.
Over at CelticsBlog, Jeff Clark looked at some other options at point guard besides Dooling, including Delonte West or a possible D-League call-up. The Celtics could also look to make a deal, and Kyle Lowry's name has surfaced as a possible candidate.