Asked about the rumor that he's already decided to go elsewhere when he hits free agency, New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony denied it emphatically at shootaround on Thursday, via Rod Boone of Newsday:
Melo shot down premise he's already decided to leave NY. Said he's not sure who Stephen A.'s sources are, but it didn't come from him.— Rod Boone (@rodboone) December 5, 2013
Melo said he doesn't talk to those close to him about his future plans: "Anybody in my crew, anybody on my team, family nobody."— Rod Boone (@rodboone) December 5, 2013
ESPN's Stephen A. Smith discussed Anthony's future on his radio show (after the 14:00 mark) on Wednesday:
"Carmelo Anthony is gone. Ain't no way in hell he's staying here. I'm hearing this is it. He's out. Unless the money disappears elsewhere, 'cause he definitely wants to get paid, he's not trying to stay here for this."
Anthony can opt out of his contract at the end of the season and he has indicated that he'll do so because he wants to be a free agent. In a television interview for TNT earlier in the season, Anthony said he would like to retire in New York.
The Knicks have lost nine straight games and are in the midst of a disastrously disappointing season, holding down the basement of the Atlantic Division with a record of 3-13. Anthony has voiced his frustration after numerous recent losses. Last week, he said that New York missed its veteran players from last year's lineup. This week, he said the Knicks were "playing to lose."
Anthony is averaging 26.3 points, 9.9 rebounds and 2.5 assists on the season, shooting 42.3 percent from the field and 27.7 percent from the three-point line.
New York will play the 5-13 Brooklyn Nets on TNT on Thursday at 7 p.m. ET.