The NBA rejected an idea that the league could be exploring the possibility of expanding the court and introducing a four-point line through the league's private PR Twitter account on Tuesday. The league stated there have been no serious conversations regarding what would be a dramatic change.
NBA president of basketball operations Rod Thorn and vice president Kiki Vandeweghe sat down with ESPN TrueHoop TV and discussed the concept, as the two of them said it had been presented to the league office, hypothetically. The dimensions of the court have been the same for well over half a century, but Vandeweghe cited the physical and athletic growth of players today as a reason for the idea of change.
"Making the court bigger -- it's an interesting idea and we've actually looked at it. We keep a list of ideas on what we should do and how we can make the game better, of course. But arenas are obviously built in a certain way and that would take a lot of adjusting to actually make the court bigger. But does it mean we shouldn't look at it? No, of course not. We're looking at all sorts of things."
But the NBA's public relations Twitter account released a statement from Tim Frank, the league's senior vice president, clarifying that there has been no real talk of any sort regarding court expansion and the addition of a four-point line. He also said Thorn and Vandeweghe were entertaining a line of questioning about outside-of-the-box ideas, and "ESPN.com chose to make a story that doesn't exist."
It's unclear why Thorn and Vandeweghe would have mentioned it as being a topic of discussion at the league level if there wasn't at least a modicum of seriousness involved, but Frank's message states pretty strongly that this isn't something we're going to see anytime soon.