Dillon Baxter will officially move on from USC football. The school granted Baxter a release from his scholarship, according to a report from the Orange County Register. The running back will begin the transfer process after the fall semester with San Diego State, Florida and Portland State among the schools he will consider.
Baxter did not travel with the team to Notre Dame last week, which head coach Lane Kiffin later said was because of the player's grades.
"After speaking with Coach (Lane) Kiffin, we decided it was better to part ways," Anthony Mooney, Baxter's stepfather, told the OC Register on Thursday. "It was an amicable situation that was better for Dillon and for USC. We want to thank everyone at the university for the opportunity and support they gave to Dillon while he was there. Unfortunately, it just didn’t work out. It just wasn’t a match at this point."
Baxter arrived at USC from San Diego as a heralded recruit, but a series of issues hindered his time in a Trojan uniform. During his time in Los Angeles, he was disciplined for making up stories about illegal recruiting activity, taking a golf cart ride with an agent, and most recently, his grades.