Live coverage from Birmingham, where SB Nation is taking in the spectacle of SEC Media Days.
It's the Ole Miss Old-Tymey Talking Picture Show Hour! You will be interested to know that in the course of his brief time at the podium, Houston Nutt calls BYU a good football team four times by our count. If this is performance art, it's sailing over everybody's heads. Other assorted minutiae from his Birmingham sermon:
• Asked about changes to oversigning legislation, he grins like the Grinch. "What do I think about it?" Stretches. "Well, it's a rule." More: "That big number really only happened one time, and I knew right where everybody was going. I never got an angry letter from a mom."
• Nutt joins every one of his coaching brethren in professing to know nothing of what Mike Slive proposed in the way of sweeping conference reforms on Wednedday morning.
• On Jeremiah Masoli: "I'm gonna spend five seconds talking about Jeremiah Masoli," reminding the room we have no idea whatever happened to Jeremiah Masoli. "That was a great experience for him, and a great experience for Ole Miss," stretching the definition of "great" to previously unexplored new boundaries.
• On quarterbacks of the present: The scrum is tight, but Barry Brunetti has the most separation for the starting job.
• I just wrote this down and have no idea what he was talking about: "LSU, they always look beautiful." It's Nutt, so it's worth repeating.
• He is asked about the billboard campaign put together by State proclaiming MSU owns Mississippi. There is a smile, a bigger smile, and he's rolling. Off goes Houston Dale on a rollicking paean to everything that makes Ole Miss Rebel Ackbear football great. My notes at this point consist of a doodle of a bunny, so captivating is the Right Reverend.