The Ohio State Buckeyes players that were suspended for receiving $200 cash while attending a charity event during the offseason may have to sit out yet another game. The three players -- running back Jordan Hall and defensive back Travis Howard and Corey Brown -- could return for Buckeyes' game against Miami on Sept. 17, but only if the school is able to provide the right information to the NCAA over the course of the next week.
Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith talked to the Associated Press prior to the team's game at Toledo on Saturday, updating the media on what has become a bit of a convoluted situation.
"No, I'm not confident," Smith told the AP. "We do have to provide some more information to the NCAA. We'll start that process tomorrow. We've got some meetings tomorrow and Monday, and we'll get them the additional information they want and then go from there."
The AD also explained Luke Fickell's comments from earlier in the week, when the coach indicated his players would be able to return against Toledo.
"Luke was just like me. We were both optimistic based upon precedents that they should be reinstated," he said. "But the NCAA felt that they deserved a (longer) penalty. We were surprised. We disagreed with them. But at the end of the day when I listened to them I kind of understood their rationale."
We'll be back with more on the situation as it becomes available. For all your Ohio State needs, head over to Along the Olentangy.