There are 11 early games on the opening weekend's college football scoreboard. Most of them have already eliminated themselves from contention for the unaffiliated fan's precious viewing budget. Those games are these:
- The Alabama Crimson Tide is pasting Kent State 24-0. This has led some Auburn fans to chuckle, as they have fond memories of games that include 24-0 scores. Auburn fans may not find much to laugh about elsewhere on the scoreboard today.
- Ohio State, with new coach Luke Fickell, is beating Akron 21-0. If they weren't breaking in a new coach, this might not even be worth two sentences.
- The Penn St. Nittany Lions are splattering Indiana State 28-0 early in the third, running back the opening kickoff to pretty much win the game.
- Virginia Tech is making Appalachian State reconsider that Division I-A bid, dropping a 38-0 score on the Mountaineers in 30 minutes of football.
- Tennessee Tech is down 27-0 to the Iowa Hawkeyes, which is the second best effort a team with Tech in its name has put up against Iowa in recent years.
- And reigning BCS team somehow UConn is downing Fordham 28-0 in a game that had to be postponed from Thursday.