Howard University has issued a statement refuting earlier reports from multiple outlets that the Bison have suspended all athletic programs in the wake of an internal investigation. Courtesy of the Washington Post:
In an e-mail, school spokeswoman Kerry-Ann Hamilton said the school has "temporarily withheld a number of student-athletes from competition as a self-imposed action. Most teams will compete as scheduled."
The Post is citing two anonymous student athletes, one a football player and one a softball player, that corroborate a report from the Washington City Paper, who cited an anonymous bowling team member that said the investigation centered around the misuse of textbook vouchers.
The Post also refuted the City Paper's report from earlier in the day that Howard had temporarily suspended all activity among athletic programs, and reported that the football and softball teams were practicing Wednesday afternoon.
Regardless of the specifics of how or if the university issued a total suspension, the presumed concern for Howard is that the NCAA would step in, according to the Post:
An Atlantic Coast Conference compliance officer contacted for this story said student-athletes are never supposed to handle funds used to purchase textbooks, and that athletic department officials usually pay for a student-athlete’s books. The compliance officer, who asked not to be identified because he did not know the facts of Howard’s situation, said the NCAA could view these violations as a lack of institutional control on Howard’s part.