Can the ACC improve its image on the gridiron?
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- As you may or may not know, the ACC does in fact play football. SB Nation is on location at the ACC Kickoff event for ACC Media Days and will bring you updates throughout the two days. Here are some of the storylines that will be touched on.
- Conference Expansion: Will Florida State, Clemson and Virginia Tech remain in the league after reportedly flirting with the Big XII and SEC during the offseason? How viable is Notre Dame as a potential conference member?
- Can the ACC win more of its games on the national stage? Commissioner John Swofford touched on this issue during his opening address.
- By how much can Florida State's offense improve? National title caliber defense and special teams is already being played in Tallahassee. Can the offense bounce back in 2012 after a shocking down year in 2011 that followed two years of operating as the best offense in the conference?
- With major personnel losses at receiver, offensive line and in the backfield, can Logan Thomas keep the offense afloat and allow an excellent defense to win games for Virginia Tech? Virginia Tech is shaping up as a classic Hokie squad, with an excellent defense and some questions on offense, mostly due to personnel losses on that side of the ball.
- Can North Carolina play spoiler in year one of the Larry Fedora era? A fast-paced, talented offense will need to carry a very thin defense in Chapel Hill. Plus, how will new revelations in the ongoing academic scandal shake out with the NCAA?
- With unheard of personnel losses (only eight returning starters and no experienced depth), how will Al Golden keep Miami's focus after yet another report of NCAA rules violations? Folks in Coral Gables have not seen a rebuilding year of this magnitude since the mid-90s.
- Can Clemson's defense improve enough under new coordinator Brent Venables to overcome the loss of five of its top seven offensive linemen? NFL talent abounds on the offensive side of the ball, but will the league be able to adjust some after seeing Chad Morris' fast-paced spread attack the second time around?
- Can Georgia Tech get back to its 2008-09 level? Has Georgia Tech brought in the type of talent that will enable it to again compete for ACC titles?
- Will Virginia avoid a backslide and duplicate its eight wins from 2011?
- How will Wake Forest adapt its offensive strategy to deal with massive losses along the offensive line and keep promising QB Tanner Price upright?
- With the loss of its top four linebackers to graduation or suspension, how will N.C. State's defense get the ball back for QB Mike Glennon and the offense?
- What is the culture like at Maryland after a disastrous first year under Randy Edsall?
- What does Frank Spaziani have to do to avoid 2012 being his last season as head coach of Boston College?
- Has the talent level improved enough at Duke to justify yet another year of preseason expectations of making a bowl?