The 2014 NFL Draft figures to be quarterback heavy in the first round. With a handful of teams in desperate need of an upgrade at the position and plenty of quality prospects to pick from, there could be an early run on the position.
Episode 19 of the Mocking the Draft podcast featured our first live mock draft on the air. Initially, the plan was to run through the first 10 picks, but we got a bit carried away and extended it through 14 picks.
Quarterbacks went with the first three picks, which would be the first draft since 1999 in which that occurred. The most surprising of the three quarterbacks to come off the board in the first three picks was Fresno State's Derek Carr, whom Dan mocked to the Vikings. His reasoning: the Vikings could be coaching the North Team at the Senior Bowl, where Derek Carr will likely be playing in January. Given Carr's ideal height and arm strength along with his infectious personality, Dan thinks Minnesota will fall in love.
The full mock draft is below with just the picks listed. Dan had the odd-numbered picks, I had the even-numbered picks. For full descriptions of each pick, take a listen to the podcast below.
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
3. Minnesota Vikings - Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
4. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
5. Atlanta Falcons - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
6. New York Giants - Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
7. Houston Texans - C.J. Mosley, MLB, Alabama
8. St. Louis Rams - Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA
9. Buffalo Bills - Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
10. Baltimore Ravens - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
11. Oakland - Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
12. St. Louis Rams - HaHa Clinton, S, Alabama
13. Philadelphia Eagles - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
14. Cleveland Browns - Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU