The New Orleans wasted no time in adding undrafted free agents to their roster following the close of the 2013 NFL Draft, including Chase Thomas, an outside linebacker out of Stanford who has been mentioned as the best of the undrafted class. Thomas was No. 2 on Dan Kadar's list of best available players.
The Saints were named as a potential good fit when Stanford blog Rule of Tree took a look at Thomas' draft prospects. With Rob Ryan bringing in a 3-4 defense, Thomas has a good shot at working his way into a role with the team. He's hardly the fastest linebacker, running a 4.91 40-yard dash at the combine, but he has a reputation for finding his way to the ball and being strong against crossing receivers. Rule of Tree wasn't the only place predicting he would hear his name called somewhere between the third and fifth rounds, so New Orleans may have gotten a great value.
The Saints added plenty of other talent, any one of whom could impress and work their way onto the regular roster. Saints blog Canal Street Chronicles is excited about quarterback Ryan Griffin in particular. The complete list of Saints undrafted free agent signings:
- Shawne Alston, RB, West Virginia
- Ryan Griffin, QB, Tulane
- Josh Hill, TE, Idaho State
- Ryan Lacy, CB, Utah
- Tim Lelito, G, Grand Valley State
- Eric Martin, DE, Nebraska
- Elliott Mealer, OL, Michigan
- Keavon Milton, TE, Louisiana-Monroe
- Kevin Reddick, MLB, North Carolina
- Ray Shipman, LB, Central Florida
- Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech
- Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford