San Francisco believes it will be without one of its best players for the rest of the year.
The San Francisco 49ers are not expecting outside linebacker Aldon Smith to return this season amid felony charges and rehab, according to Adam Schefter.
Smith has not played since Week 2 against the Seattle Seahawks. Smith was arrested on Sept. 20 on a DUI charge following a car crash in which he was legally intoxicated. On top of that, authorities found weed and pills in the car afterward.
The 49ers star is now in a rehabilitation facility while receiving his full pay from the team. However, Smith still has plenty of legal issues after being charged with three felonies in connection with a 2012 incident in which he was stabbed. All of the felonies are weapons related.
Replacing Smith is on the shoulders of rookie Corey Lemonier and Dan Skuta. Of course, much of the pass-rushing burden is on Justin Smith and Ahmad Brooks, who have three combined sacks thus far.
• NFL Week 6 highlights, updates and more | Live NFL Scoreboard
• Packers lose Randall Cobb to knee injury | James Jones, too
• Oh no, Spilly made pumpkin beer | Spilly's recipes
• Danny Kelly: 6 ways to win the red zone
• "League of Denial" creators discuss concussion crisis