Things got even worse for the Buccaneers with another major injury.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Mike James broke his ankle against the Miami Dolphins in Week 10 on Monday Night Football and is out indefinitely, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
James carried five times for 41 yards on Tampa Bay's opening drive of the game. On a carry near the goal line, James' ankle got rolled up. He was carted off the field and taken to the locker room. After initially being ruled questionable to return, James was held out for the game.
After Doug Martin suffered a season-ending shoulder injury, James had taken over as the team's featured running back. The sixth-round pick out of Miami rushed for 158 yards against the Seattle Seahawks in Week 9 and was looking like a legitimate steal for Tampa Bay.
Brian Leonard and Bobby Rainey split carries in James' absence, but Tampa Bay missed his presence in the running game. It's just another blow in a tough season for the Bucs.
• NFL Debrief: Nick Foles' mystery trip
• Takeaways: Fear the Panthers! Updated playoff picture
• Dr. Ali: Manning, Cutler, Locker land on injury report
• Richie Incognito defends actions in interview | More on Miami's mess
• Terrelle Pryor reaches JaMarcus-level low point