A concussion suffered by Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker will likely prevent the five-time Pro Bowler from participating in the team's Thursday Night Football game against the San Diego Chargers, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.
On ESPN's NFL Insiders, Mortensen said that it is "very unlikely" that Welker is ready to go on Thursday, although he hasn't yet been officially ruled out by the team. On Monday, Broncos head coach John Fox said that Welker will through concussion protocol before he's cleared to return to practice.
Welker, 32, previously suffered a concussion in Week 11 and left Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans after receiving a blow to the head in the final minute of the first half. With two concussions in less a month, Welker's long-term availability for the team is also in question.
After six seasons with the New England Patriots, including five consecutive trips to the Pro Bowl, Welker joined the Broncos in March on a two-year deal worth $12 million. In his first season with the team, he has accumulated 73 receptions for 778 yards and 10 touchdowns.