Kansas City traded for Alex Smith and signed Chase Daniel this offseason. Would they bring in another quarterback with the top pick?
The Kansas City Chiefs are "fascinated" by West Virginia Mountaineers quarterback Geno Smith, according to Ian Rapoport.
Smith was terrific at his pro day and solidified his status as a top 10 pick last week, with most experts believing he will be one of the first selections off the board at the 2013 NFL Draft. Our own Dan Kadar has Smith heading to the Jacksonville Jaguars at No. 2 overall in SB Nation's latest mock draft.
Joel Thorman of Arrowhead Pride calls the move a smokescreen and writes, "Is this the worst smokescreen in draft history? Honestly, it might be."
The Chiefs just traded one second-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft and a conditional third-round choice that could become a second in next year's draft as well for quarterback Alex Smith. That's a high price to pay for the team to also consider such a large draft investment in a rookie like Geno Smith.
Smith threw for 98 touchdowns and 21 interceptions in his four-year career at West Virginia.
More from SB Nation:
• NFL mock draft: Finally, some clarity
• After talks stall, will the Raiders cut Carson Palmer?
• Ronde Barber will play for Bucs or no one
• Report: Gay NFL player considers coming out
• This is how Percy Harvin will help the Seahawks
• NFL Mock Draft: SB Nation bloggers are on the clock