NFL won't ask Browns' Jimmy Haslam to step down during FBI investigation

USA TODAY Sports

The NFL will not force Browns owner Jimmy Haslam to step down while he's under federal investigation, and will allow the process to play out.

The NFL will not ask Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam to step down, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. Haslam's Pilot Flying J truck stop empire is under investigation from the FBI and IRS for allegedly defrauding customers in a rebate scheme, and Haslam himself is alleged to have been aware of the longtime scheme. Haslam denies any knowledge of fraudulent activities, which the FBI has reportedly been investigating since May of 2011.

The FBI raided Pilot Flying J headquarters in Knoxville (Tenn.) on Monday, but Haslam was in Cleveland, where he is still helping prepare the Browns for the draft. Haslam officially purchased the Browns back in October of 2012, buying the team for $1.05 billion from former owner Randy Lerner. He currently owns 70% of the team, and is scheduled to receive the remaining 30% from Lerner in four years. That deal will obviously be nullified if he has to relinquish his control of the team before then.

More from SB Nation:

The 10 best games from the 2013 NFL schedule

2013 NFL schedules: Monday night | Sunday night | Thursday night

2013 NFL schedule: Who has the toughest path?

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam investigated by FBI

NFL mock draft: Trades shake up first round

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.