The Minnesota Vikings added 16 undrafted free agents, including several skill position players in the hours after the NFL Draft, but perhaps the most interesting players are linebackers Nathan Williams, Camden Wentz and Darius Eubanks as the Vikings look to fill a position of need.
The Vikings nabbed a lot of players from smaller schools -- tight end Colin Anderson and running back Jerodis Williams from Furman, offensive lineman Joe Bonadies from Penn, wide receiver Nicholas Edwards from Eastern Washington, defensive end Marquis Jackson from Portland State, running back Rayon Simmons from Winona State and Eubanks from Georgia Southern -- hoping for guys who might have slipped through the cracks.
But as The Daily Norseman notes, the Vikings only have one sure starter at linebacker, and the addition of Ohio State's Williams, NC State's Wentz, and Eubanks could actually create competition at a spot where Minnesota is pushing for depth. The Vikings also drafted a linebacker -- Michael Mauti out of Penn State, in the seventh round -- who should have as much of a shot to contribute as the undrafted free agents.
Here's a ful look at who Minnesota added:
- Colin Anderson, TE, Furman
- Brandan Bishop, S, North Carolina State
- Joe Bonadies, OL, Penn
- Duron Carter, WR, Ohio State/Coffeyville JC/Alabama (story here)
- Nicholas Edwards, WR, Eastern Washington
- Darius Eubanks, LB, Georgia Southern
- Erik Highsmith, WR, North Carolina
- Marquis Jackson, DE, Portland State
- Zach Line, FB, Southern Methodist
- Robbie Rouse, RB, Fresno State
- Rayon Simmons, RB, Winona State
- Rodney Smith, WR, Florida State
- Collins Ukwu, DE, Kentucky
- James Vandenberg, QB, Iowa
- Camden Wentz, LB, North Carolina State
- Jerodis Williams, RB, Furman
- Nathan Williams, DE/OLB, Ohio State