Kevin Hoffman-USA TODAY Sports
Babin had groin surgery and will be out for the rest of OTAs, but he should be ready for training camp.
Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Jason Babin underwent groin surgery and will miss the rest of OTAs, according to the team's Twitter page. He's expected to be back in time for training camp.
Babin, 33, was picked up by the Jaguars in November after getting waived by the Philadelphia Eagles. He assumed a starting position and had 1.5 sacks for the Jaguars, finishing the season with seven.
Babin is expected to play the "Leo" role in coach Gus Bradley's new hybrid scheme, a position that should allow him to focus on what he does best -- getting after the quarterback. He has 55 sacks in his nine-year career and racked up 18 just two years ago.
Although Babin is expected to be ready for training camp, his absence opens up more reps for Andre Branch. Rookies J.D. Griggs and Paul Hazel could also be in the mix.
More from SB Nation:
• Previewing the 2014 offensive free agents
• Bills legend Jim Kelly reveals he has cancer
• Jim Harbaugh appears on "Judge Judy" taping
• NFL un-power rankings: Raiders still No. 1
• Meet Eli Manning's newest weapon | Cowboys' 2013 draft board leaked