San Francisco 49ers running back Marcus Lattimore won't participate in practices when the team opens training camp on Thursday as the team already placed him on the Active/Non-Football Injury (NFI) list, but if it were up to him, he thinks he could practice right now.
Lattimore told Les Carpenter of Yahoo! Sports that he believes he is physically ready to go back on the field right now, but he also said that he's not upset with the NFI designation for now:
He realizes waiting is in his best interests and so he said: "I'm cool with it, it gives me more time to make sure I'm really ready when I do practice."
A fourth-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Lattimore would've certainly been a higher selection had it not been for a devastating knee injury suffered in October. In a game against Tennessee, the South Carolina running back suffered damage to the ACL, MCL and PCL in his right knee. Lattimore's recovery so far has been impressive to many and was described by Lattimore himself as "a miracle."
The 49ers will have the option to remove Lattimore from the Active/NFI list at any point in time during training camp or they could revert him to the Reserve/NFI list by final cuts, which would withhold him from the field for at least six weeks.