The New Englang Patriots cut tight ends Daniel Fells and Jake Ballard on Friday, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com.
The cuts leave New England with three tight ends on the roster including Rob Gronkowski -- who may not be headed to the physically unable to perform list -- Zach Sudfeld and Michael Hoomanawanui.
Fells signed a three-year deal with New England last year worth more than $5 million and was the leading candidate to start in the injured Gronkowski's place when training camp began. He failed to separate himself from the other players at the position, however, ultimately making him expendable when combined with his salary.
Ballard suffered a serious knee injury in Super Bowl XLVI while playing for the Giants, which forced him to sit out the entire 2012 season. That may have hampered his chances of making the Patriots' final roster.
• Play the No. 1 free fantasy football game
• Seneca Wallace leaves 49ers, hints at retirement
• NFL Draft Watch: Analyzing Jadeveon Clowney's debut
• Sports agent Ron Shapiro on Jay-Z, A-Rod and more
• Uffsides: Previewing the NFC