After suffering yet another concussion, Marc Savard's 2010-11 season could be over, according to a report from ESPN Boston. He'll be evaluated on Wednesday, but it doesn't look good for the 13-year NHL veteran.
"There is a strong possibility [of shutting him down], but you have to take it step by step," Chiarelli said in a phone conversation with ESPNBoston.com.
Savard remains at home in Peterborough, Ontario and he's still experiencing symptoms from a moderate concussion he suffered on Jan. 22.
Chiarelli, who is in Raleigh, N.C., with the Bruins as they prepare for their game against the Hurricanes on Tuesday, said he has not spoken with Savard. The team will likely wait to make a decision until after the player's examination on Wednesday.
"We still may not know the answer at that point," Chiarelli said.
Savard apparently returned to the lineup too early during the 2010 playoffs, and after missing several games earlier this season, this most recent concussion seems to be the most serious yet. In terms of the severity of the actual blow, the Bruins have called it moderate, but when you take into consideration his history, you have no just but to question Savard's future in the NHL.
We likely won't know for some time how this will impact the remainder of his career, but soon enough we could know how this will impact the rest of the season. His loss would be a big one for the Bruins.