The strained talks between the NHL ownership and the NHLPA will continue over the weekend as the two sides try to hash out the next step in the bargaining process, Katie Strang of ESPN reported on Friday.
#CBA Bill Daly and Steve Fehr spoke today. Plan to talk again over weekend to determine next step in bargaining process— Katie Strang (@KatieStrangESPN) November 17, 2012
Steve Fehr, special counsel to the players' association, and Bill Daly, deputy commissioner of the NHL, appear to be trying to make some progress despite reports that NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman suggested a two-week break in negotiations for both sides.
Fehr was a guest on Hockey Night in Canada Radio on Friday and said he didn't think taking a break from talks should happen.
When asked what his response to Bettman was when the proposed moratorium was first brought up, Fehr said, "I said to him that I didn't think it was a particularly good idea. The parties are still talking. Hopefully it won't result in that."
Talks have remained deadlocked as 327 games have been cancelled so far this season. The major issue the two sides remain apart on revolves around the share of league revenue distributed to the players.
This is the fourth time in the last 20 years a lockout has cancelled games in the NHL schedule. It is also the third lockout in the NHL during Bettman's reign as commissioner, including the 2004-2005 lockout that wiped out the entire season.