Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler is making slow progress in recovering from offseason wrist and shoulder surgeries, and his agent told TheProvince.com that the expected return date of January 2013 is likely to be missed. Kesler's agent, Kurt Overhardt, said that his client is still "several months" away from returning.
While he was reevaluated in Cleveland two weeks ago and the surgeries were deemed successful, the result of both being on the left side of Kesler's body has meant a slower-than-expected recovery. Overhardt told TheProvince.com that rehab has been difficult.
"I don't think it's fair to have any sort of time frame when he's going to be 100 per cent and cleared to play," Overhardt said. "I don't have a crystal ball and it's certainly months away, it's not weeks away. It's several months away."
Vancouver assistant general manager Laurence Gilman said it was "news to (him)" that Kesler's recovery had been going slower than expected, though he added that he was never given a timeline.
Kesler underwent surgery on his left shoulder on May 8 and had left wrist surgery on June 27. He has been receiving his $5 million annual salary because he was injured before the old collective bargaining agreement ended in September.
In the 2011-12 season, the 28-year-old was a steady force in the middle for the Canucks' second line. He scored 22 goals and added 27 assists in 77 games.