It was a short schedule for the NHL on Wednesday, but the two rivalry games made up for it with some really exciting hockey. Let's get to all of the action you may have missed on Wednesday.
All The NHL Scores
Get caught up on last night's NHL scores with recaps from our network of SB Nation team blogs. Here's a quick glance at the full night of action:
Flyers 6, Penguins 5
Avalanche 1, Blues 0 (OT)
Prior to last night's games, we presented five burning questions regarding the night's action. Here are your cool, soothing answers.
Not really. The Penguins did a good job on the kill against Philadelphia (1-6 on the man advantage) and while the Flyers played all right on the kill themselves, they took far too many penalties in the third and just gassed themselves into giving up a score.
2. How will Tomas Vokoun perform in his first game in the Flyers-Penguins rivalry?
No fights between the two, but the two stars got involved on offense. Giroux registered two assists and Crosby had one, though the Penguins' captain was a -3 on the night. They both stepped out of the spotlight while their teammates carried the weight.
4. Can the St. Louis Blues rebound on the tail end of a back-to-back?
St. Louis played pretty well considering they were stranded in Vancouver for 15 hours. They heavily outshot the Avalanche, 33-20, but couldn't get anything past Semyon Varlamov, who was busy standing on his head all game. They might've lost but kudos to the Blues for showing up when nobody would've blamed them if they didn't.
5. How will Joey MacDonald fare in his home debut?
He faced a pretty consistent onslaught from the Kings in the 3-1 loss, but overall Joey Mac was pretty impressive. It's not his fault he has to play for the Flames.
What moment from last night's games will be making headlines in the coming days?
Quote of the Night
Danny Briere responded to Tanner Glass calling him the dirtiest player in the league by admitting he doesn't know who Tanner Glass is. "I might have played once against him in Winnipeg. Maybe we have our history in PlayStation. That's probably where he remembers me from. That's about the only place I played against him."
Post to Post
- The real story behind the Blues' long layover in Vancouver, as told by St. Louis Gametime.
- Broad Street Hockey recapped a wild rivalry game. Pensburgh has the other side of things.
- Die By The Blade goes over the long-term and short-term effects of the Lindy Ruff firing.
- Finally, enjoy the hilarity of Tomas Vokoun in this gif: