Jarome Iginla looked like he was running on fumes last season in Pittsburgh and the surefire Hall of Famer is a year older in Boston for the 2013-14 season. So when oddsmakers set his season point over-under total at 65.5, savvy hockey fans take notice. True, he is only 36 years old, but some cars look OK on the surface but have tons of hard miles on the odometer.
Can a dump-and-chase system in Beantown combined with advancing age get Iginla to 66 points? We don't think so as we scan the full list of NHL player prop odds at Canadian lines site HockeyOdds.ca.
• Give us Matt Duchene OVER 70.5 points. The addition of first overall pick Nathan MacKinnon and a full season of Ryan O'Reilly means more firepower in Colorado. We don't expect an avalanche of goals, but a good solid snowstorm of points.
• We'll take Brandon Dubinsky OVER 47.5 in Columbus. The scrappy but talented forward will get top-line duty here and he has the skill and speed to easily surpass 60 points.
• Sorry to Jaromir Jagr, another first-ballot Hall of Famer, but we'll take him UNDER 54.5 points in New Jersey. The Devils look more offense-challenged than usual, Jagr is pushing 42 and doesn't exactly enjoy playing a) defensively or b) while hurting. Both are required, neither is likely.
• We like new Islander captain John Tavares OVER 83.5 points. Many are projecting a breakout season for the former No. 1 draft pick and 100 points is not out of the question.
• We have Steven Stamkos OVER 50.5 goals as we expect him to lead the league in goals again. In the same breath, we take Alex Ovechkin UNDER 48.5 goals.
• And in Toronto, Phil Kessel is in a contract year, which might normally point to huge production. We don't buy it and take him UNDER 82.5 points and UNDER 34.5 goals.
See the full list of NHL player props for the season at OddsShark.com and watch for NHL game odds on the regular season coming soon to sports books.