Gilbert and Tim Thomas combined for a huge stop.
Neither the Red Wings nor the Panthers seemed to really want to play any defense on Sunday, as the two teams traded leads and blew them over and over until the end of regulation.
But when overtime began, boy did the Panthers step up their game. With the Red Wings pressing for a goal around the net, Tim Thomas came up with two huge saves but got pulled out of his net. Luckily for Florida, defenseman Tom Gilbert was there to save the game.
Thanks to Gilbert's heroics, the Panthers were able to hold on and win the game 5-4 in the shootout.
• Which enforcers are good hockey players?
• Do in-season coaching changes work?
• Power rankings: Blackhawks, the superior bird
• The Penguins’ Globetrotter hockey
• Olympics: Injuries might alter Canada’s roster | USA roster analysis
• Olympic rosters shouldn’t be built with NHL restraints