Saturday might be the most anticipated day of the preliminary round of the men's tournament due to the powerhouse matchup at the Bolshoy Ice Dome featuring the United States, fresh off a 7-1 dismantling of Slovakia, and the host Russians who are looking for a stronger performance than their opening 5-2 win against Slovenia.
Women's quarterfinals get underway with a pair of games as the Czech Republic has to deal with an incredibly tough Switzerland team.
Let's take a look at the full schedule and all of the top storylines.
- 3 am: women quarterfinal, Finland vs. Sweden
- 3 am: men, Slovakia vs. Slovenia
- 7:30 am: women quarterfinal, Switzerland vs. Russia
- 7:30 am: men, United States vs Russia
- 12 pm: men, Sweden vs. Latvia
- 12 pm: men, Switzerland vs. Czech Republic
All times Eastern. All games are streamed via NBC or CBC, depending on your location.
- How will Slovakia rebound after getting blown out in the opener against a Slovenia team that kept it close against Russia?
- Will Russia's defense be able to slow down the United States offense?
- How will Jonathan Quick do in his second Olympics start for the United States?
- Can Switzerland continue its strong play? The Swiss have allowed just 14 goals in their past seven Olympic games, four of which have come against hockey heavyweights Canada, Sweden and the United States (two games). They've played a pair of 1-0 games so far, beating Latvia in the opener on a late goal and then losing to Sweden in a similar manner on Friday.
- Trips to the semifinals in the Olympics tournament are up for grabs. Will any of these teams be able to give the United States or Canada a challenge?