As was the case yesterday, with groups E through H achieving clarity through third round results, UEFA Champions League saw four group favorites emerge through Wednesday victories.
Moving from Group A to D:
- Internazionale's four first half goals left little doubt that Inter would move three points clear of Spurs in Group A, but a Gareth Bale hat-trick to bring Tottenham within one will be the match's last story, with Harry Redknapp and Spurs supporters given reason to think match day four's visit from the holders will yield a result.
- Also in Group A, Theo Janssen had apparently given FC Twente three points against visiting Werder Bremen, the midfielder's 75th minute goal breaking a scoreless tie. Then five minutes later, substitute Marko Arnautovic pulled Werder even and kept the clubs tied at the bottom of the group, each with two points.
- Lyon's divergent European and domestic seasons continue, with the struggling Ligue 1 side staying perfect in Champions League, recording a 2-0 win at Stade Gerland over 10-man Benfica.
- Schalke, like Lyon, has ignored domestic troubles to move to second in Group B, their 3-1 over Hapoel putting them on six, three back of Lyon. Raúl scored the match's first two goals, with José Juardo adding a third before Haopel's consolation.
- Manchester United's now two points clear in Group C after a 1-0 victory over visiting Bursaspor. Nani's first half tally keeps Bursa without a point through their first three Champions League match, the Turkish champions having yet to score a goal.
- Maurice Edu scored two goals, one in each goal, as Rangers were drawn by Valencia, 1-1. Rangers remain undefeated through three matches. With five points, they hold a one point advantage over Valencia heading into next round's match at the Mestalla.
- Barcelona got a brace from Lionel Messi, the second goal coming in second half stoppage time, as the Blaugrana took first place back from Copenhagen, 2-0 at the Nou Camp. Barça's seven points puts them one ahead of the Danish champions.
- Predictably, Panathinaikos and Rubin Kazan played to a scoreless drawn in Athens.