MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 15: Mario Balotelli of Manchester City gestures to Villa fans during the Barclays Premier League match between Manchester City and Aston Villa at the Etihad Stadium on October 15, 2011 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
Mario Balotelli set his own house on fire on Saturday morning while throwing fireworks out of a bathroom window. Nobody was hurt, but the property suffered serious damage.
Mario Balotelli has struck again. Just days before the top of the table derby between his Manchester City and arch-nemeses Manchester United, the £25M striker has managed to land himself in the hottest of water after accidentally setting his own house on fire. According to a statement from the fire service, two crews were dispatched to put out the blaze, which was described as a 'substantial fire', and eventually determined that the cause was a firework:
Four breathing apparatus and two hose reel water jets were used to deal with the fire and a large fan was used to clear the smoke from the property. Crews managed to put the fire out within half an hour of arriving but remained at the scene until 2.45 am to prevent any possible flare-ups. Smoke alarms were fitted at the property and the occupiers were able to get out unharmed. The fire was caused by a firework.
Balotelli has told City officials that he and four friends were throwing fireworks out of his bathroom window at 1:00 AM when a towel caught fire, with the blaze quickly spreading. Nobody was harmed in the incident, although according to the Guardian police had to prevent the forward from reentering the home to secure his valuables. Although he trained as normal on Saturday, the incident is unlikely to please manager Roberto Mancini, who had recently declared Balotelli's mentality to be changing away from the disruptive force that everyone saw last season.