Ten years after 9/11 forced MLS to cancel the final week of its regular season, the league will be honoring the 10th anniversary of the national tragedy in a variety of ways. All games will include a 30-second moment of silence prior to the singing of the national anthem, all players will wear commemorative armbands bearing the official 9/11 Memorial and a 9/11 PSA will run in all stadiums and during broadcasts.
In addition to the league-wide actions, every game will include its own recognition. Among the highlights:
- The Sounders will hand out 35,000 miniature U.S. flags that are to be raised during the 9th and 11th minutes
- The Galaxy are donating part of ticket sales to the FDNY Widows and Orphans Foundation
- The Sons of Ben will raise their scarves during the 9th and 11th minutes
- The Revolution have given 3,500 tickets to Armed Services
- Earthquakes goalkeeper Jon Busch has donated gear to be auctioned with proceeds going to the Navy SEAL Foundation
- Chivas USA is giving free admission to all military personnel, firefighters, police, FMTs, paramedics and families with valid ID