CARSON, CA - NOVEMBER 19: Brian Ching #25 of the Houston Dynamo smiles during a training session ahead of the MLS Cup at The Home Depot Center on November 19, 2011 in Carson, California. (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)
Brian Ching tells the Houston Chronicle that he will report to Montreal Impact training camp rather than retire as he threatened to do.
Brian Ching has apparently had second thoughts about his promise to retire and now says he will report to training camp with the Montreal Impact, according to a report in the Houston Chronicle. Ching previously said that he would retire if the Impact selected him in the 2011 MLS Expansion Draft, mainly because he did not want to play for any team other than the Houston Dynamo.
"I've decided I'm not going to retire," Ching said in an exclusive interview with the Chronicle. "I'll report to Montreal when camp opens."
Of course, this does not mean he's going to actually play for the Impact. Any number of things could still happen between now and the start of the season, up to and including a trade back to the Dynamo.
In any case, it appears the Impact have won yet another round of chicken. It may not have been the smartest thing to take an aging, injured and highly paid forward in the expansion draft, but they sure seem determined not to be bullied by that player.