James McClean of Sunderland celebrates scoring the first goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Stoke City and Sunderland at the Britannia Stadium. Sunderland plays in the FA Cup on February 8, 2012. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

FA Cup 2012, Fourth Round Replays: Sunderland Make It Through After Extra Time

After Blackpool and Millwall advanced on Tuesday, Sunderland squeaked through against Middlesbrough to make it to the 5th round.

  • Live
3 Total Updates since February 7, 2012
  • Important 2
  • Updates 2
  • Articles 1
  • All Updates 3

Middlesbrough Vs. Sunderland, 2012 FA Cup Replay: Sunderland Edge Nervy Game

Sunderland edged out local rivals Middlesbrough after extra time at the Riverside Stadium to advance to the fifth round of the 2012 FA Cup. It was a closely fought match, although Martin O'Neill's side would have felt pretty comfortable after taking the lead via a sumptuous strike from the left boot of Jack Colback that fizzed its way off the bottom of Jason Steele's bar and in just before halftime.

The hosts made a reply after the break, with Lukas Jutkiewicz scoring his first Boro goal as he made the most of Michael Turner's mistake to fire past Simon Mignolet, and although the Black Cats managed to hit the post via Phil Bardsley later in the half, testing Steele several more times on top of that, they were unable to prevent their Championship opponents taking the match to extra time.

It was Middlesbrough who had the first real chance to break the deadlock in extras, with Marvin Emnes drawing John O'Shea into a desperate block, but the home side would have their hearts broken when Stephane Sessegnon drove a loose ball thought a tangle of legs and into the back of the net in the 113th minute. Sunderland would see out the remainder of the match relatively comfortably, advancing to the fifth round with a 2-1 win. Arsenal await.


FA Cup 2012, Fifth Round Replays: Millwall Stun Saints, Blackpool Advance

Sheffield Wednesday vs. Blackpool

Blackpool hadn't made it to the fifth round of the FA Cup in more than twenty years, so even though they were favourites against League One Sheffield Wednesday there was still some question about how seriously they'd take their match at Hillsborough. The crowd certainly wasn't into the match - about twenty people showed up - and their pessimism was soon justified when Blackpool went ahead with two long-range shot in the first few minutes, the first a rolled effort by Matt Phillips which bobbled its way past Stephen Bywater and into the bottom corner and the second a beautiful curling strike by Lomana LuaLua after a lovely run that covered half the pitch.

At 2-0 the game was over, but that didn't stop the Owls from trying to grab a lifeline back into it. Matthew Gilks was forced into a smart stop after Rob Jones powered a header toward his far post before halftime, but any hope that the hosts might have had was ended shortly after the interval when Ludovic Sylvestre swept into the top corner following a glorious backheel by Matt Phillips. A couple of chances from both side closed out the match, but they weren't going to have an impact on the result. Blackpool win 3-0 and advance to face Everton away in the next round.

Southampton vs. Millwall

Southampton were looking at a great opportunity to open up a path to the quarterfinals with Bolton Wanderers awaiting in the fifth round, but their visitors pulled off a shock win when they netted twice in the final fifteen minutes, coming back from a 2-1 deficit to win 3-2, the final goal coming in the second minute of injury time.

Millwall didn't seem intimidated by the fact that these two sides were at opposite ends of the Championship table and started brightly, with Liam Trotter netting via deflection in the 17th minute. Although the goal hardly stung the hosts into action, and the Saints had an equaliser before halftime when Adam Lallana weaved his way through the Millwall defence before firing Southampton level, and once level they continued to press the attack until finally going ahead in the 77th minute through Richard Lambert.

Unfortunately for the home fans, Millwall responded almost immediately when Dany N'Guessan drew things back to level pegging with a neat header two minutes later. We looked set for extra time and a penalty shootout before Liam Feeney broke the deadlock with a brilliant curling shot to send Millwall to the fifth round.

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.